Sunday, April 25, 2010

Tiong Bahru Walkabout

The mention of Tiong Bahru would usually bring to mind "food" for the gourmands. But this is not what I have in mind. I'm drawn to this place for its nostalgic charm and unique architectural style.

I decided to do a "Tiong Bahru Walkabout" since I'll be attending a friend's birthday party who is living nearby. This is a very interesting neighbourhood which I particularly like. I do notice quite a number of newly renovated units belonging to, perhaps, the younger, trendier crowd who also has a liking for this intriguing neighbourhood and convenient location. 
Isn't it convenient to have the Post Office just downstairs?
Did you notice the P.O. Box numbered 8888 on the top left-hand corner, printed in what else but red? Wonder who owned such auspicious P.O. Box?

Lush greenery everywhere.








Narrow spiral stairs. Must be quite a challenge to make one's way up those steps.


Yes, those handles are definitely handy to scale those steps.






Maximum security with 3 padlocks.


Hard to come across such shutter-type window panes these days.

A leisure afternoon reading in the park.

An old lady cutting her toe nails in front of her house.



Heavily taped.

A door that doesn't fit?



Just when I'm about to end my walkabout, a man came up to me and asked for $2 as transport fee. Such ruse has been so widely employed that it's getting quite stale & also make me wonder if these people are from the same "organization" trained the same way because their sob story are exactly the same word for word. By the way, the man was holding a can of Coco Cola which easily cost $1.50. If you are too poor to afford a ride home but rich enough to buy a drink then my advise is - walk home.

Maybe, I should have taken a picture of him and threaten him to give me $20, if not I'll send the picture to the nearest Neighbourhood Police Post. No, I'm just kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails